Squeak book !

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Sep 9 18:38:47 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu>:
> On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 08:21  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
> wrote:
>
> >> I found the chapter on the Pluggable Web Server very interesting,
> >> but when I went to try things out became extremely confused about
> >> what the current state of the code is and what I should do.  This
> >> kind of thing is inevitable in something that moves as fast as
> Squeak,
> >> and if on-line documentation were kept fully up to date might not be
> >> problem.  If I really cared enough about PWS, I suspect that this
> >> chapter _would_ be an adequate start for reading the code.
> >
> > IMHO, anyone reading this and getting interested in Squeak
> webserving:
> > PWS is more or less obsolete code (as in "unmaintained" AFAICT). Use
> > Comanche instead which a lot of people use and which works very good
> > including being the base of Swiki.
>
> The White Book's discussion of PWS is aimed more at the beginner -- you
>
> might try the Case Study: PWS chapter there.  The NuBlue book was
> always intended as an intermediate-to-advanced book.
>
> While I completely agree that Comanche is the way to go in Squeak for
> real applications, we still use PWS every semester in our Squeak-based
> "Objects and Design" class (and not just when I'm teaching the class
> :-).  PWS's advantage over Comanche is simplicity.  People grok PWS
> more easily than Comanche, at least those with no previous
> Web-programming background.  Comanche is more robust, has more
> enhancements, continues to be used in real applications daily, etc.
> But PWS still does work on anything that Squeak runs on where sockets
> are implemented.  (Anybody run PWS on a handheld yet? :-)
>
> Mark

Ok, let me be a bit frank.

PWS might be simpler in terms of LOC but the design gives me the creeps. What is
an instance of the class "PWS"? A server? Or a request? And if it is a request
(which it is) why is the class called PWS and why does it have class methods as
if it was a server?

In short - I find it very poor "OO design" having the class effectively being
the server singleton and instances of itself represent requests to it.

I know that PWS was whipped together very quickly (IIRC) and that is fine by me
but... Ok, I can't refrain from saying this - *personally* I would not use this
code in a course called "Objects and design".

Sorry if I came on a bit hard here. Mark, you know me, I am a friendly guy! :-)

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek