[Job] Squeak for NewtonOS?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Sep 9 21:25:05 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> From what I remember, I don't really think it's feasible. Alas. I, in
> fact, bought my Newt in expectation of running Squeak on it. Good thing it
> was cool enough for me too be happy with it sans Squeak :)

Yes, it's quite awesome.  I admit, I'm a weirdo- in a mobile computer, I
want to be able to do everything for the most part.  On the Newton, I
could do everything I really ever need to do what I do on my desktop-
except code in Squeak.  As a person who lives out of Squeak on the
desktop, it's important to me.  I suppose I have a weird vision of my
perfect computer. :)

> > Also, let me apologize for the goofiness of this request- I assure you,
> > I'm not insane, just a little attached to both of my favorite computing
> > platform- Newton OS and Smalltalk.
>
> A perhaps more reasonable task would be to port PocketSmalltalk, though
> that's hardly as comfy an enviroment.

I would be interested in PocketSmalltalk if and only if you could develop
for PocketSmalltalk on the device itself.  ATM, I know there's no IDE for
the Palm OS version of PocketSmalltalk, but the question is more if one
could be constructed in a straight forward way.  I'm not familiar with the
PocketSmalltalk architecture- can the Compiler be packaged in a deployment
image? Can you do an "Compiler evaluate: '3 + 4'"?

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere