[Q]ComSwiki

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Sep 19 07:18:06 UTC 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, PhiHo Hoang wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Using ComSwiki, how do you escape the '#' character ?

You should direct Comanche/Swiki specific questions to the increasingly
inappropriately named "PWS" mailing list.

>     '&#' is dispalyed as '&#', not just '#' as intended.

Don't know.

>     One more question, does ComSwiki do GC ? Are zombie pages get collected
> automagically or it must be done by hand ?

So you think a hypertext reference (URL) is a pointer to a page. The
object memory would be ... the Internet, right?  Running on the most
powerfull multi-platform distributed VM. I like that idea. But, even if we
just want to ref scan the part of the Internet called WWW that could be an
enourmous effort. There might even be clusters of pages that can't be
reached from your place but still references a page in your object space.
Like, say, on my local harddisk?

More to the point, there are no "zombie pages" because they are still
"referenced" by the "changes page". And, it's a design principle of Swiki
never to delete anything, even pages that nothing else inside the swiki
points at. Should be a design principle of the WWW in a whole ...

-- Bert