Linux plugin functional?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Sep 20 09:50:45 UTC 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > It seems the new plugin image bypasses the URL requests through the
> > browser and does HTTP by itself. That's bad. Wasn't it supposed to at
> > least try browser tunneling first and then do it on it's own?
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature.

OMFG. That's soo stupid. Sorry. Not to be taken personally ;-)

> The squeakland launcher mechanism "knows" in which browsers the browser
> api works in which ones it doesn't. It then sets the parameter
> apiSupported to true or false. (view source reveals the "magic")

It cannot know which browsers support this, because not the browser
"supports" it but the _plugin_!

> That makes the browser plugin work for everybody except those using a
> browser with defunct api (like Opera) AND behind a proxy.

No it does not. When I try to view a Squeakland project in Opera, all I
get is a "Unsupported Browser" page. *Even* if I set Opera to identify as
Mozilla or IE! So I can't even test if it works now with my newest plugin.

> So basically for now we could update the *ix plugin packages with the
> new image and the newest VM and make most people happy :-)

I have a version that might work through the api on hopefully most Linux
browsers. If only I could test it!

IMO the image should try to use the API and only if this does not work,
fall back to the work-around. If this does not work, bring up a dialog to
allow to set proxy settings. All this could be stored as a preference on
disk, but there should be a way to reset the settings.

-- Bert