Linux plugin functional?

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Sep 20 15:52:29 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>The squeakland launcher mechanism "knows" in which browsers the browser
>>api works in which ones it doesn't. It then sets the parameter
>>apiSupported to true or false. (view source reveals the "magic")
> It cannot know which browsers support this, because not the browser
> "supports" it but the _plugin_!

Squeakland server, not squeakland image. It's a static table of
parameters that drives the launch page template generation.

>>That makes the browser plugin work for everybody except those using a
>>browser with defunct api (like Opera) AND behind a proxy.
> No it does not. When I try to view a Squeakland project in Opera, all I
> get is a "Unsupported Browser" page. *Even* if I set Opera to identify as
> Mozilla or IE! So I can't even test if it works now with my newest plugin.

Can you please send me the id strings you used?

> I have a version that might work through the api on hopefully most Linux
> browsers. If only I could test it!

Cool :-)

> IMO the image should try to use the API and only if this does not work,
> fall back to the work-around. If this does not work, bring up a dialog to
> allow to set proxy settings. All this could be stored as a preference on
> disk, but there should be a way to reset the settings.

The problem is to choose a reasonable timeout. A download call may take
a long time because it loads a large file over a slow connection and it
only comes back *after* the download is complete.

But lucky for us, out of the over 400(!) browsers the server identified
so far, 98% are supported ;-)

And to be honest, I'm not trying to be more perfect than commercial web
sites that have people who get paid to do this kind of job.

Michael

--

  "All of life's big problems include the words 'indictment' or
  'inoperable'. Everything else is small stuff." -- Alton Brown