[OT] Looking for St-80; ST/V for DOS

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Sep 22 14:11:19 UTC 2002

Aaron<reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> I'm looking to find copies of Smalltalk-80 (for Mac or DOS) and ST/V for
> DOS. Personal research. If anyone is willing to help, email me. :)

The following is *very* OT, but nevertheless interesting:

As copyrighted software, Smalltalk V was never in the Internet, but ...

... a russian translation has found its place there. You find it at
http://www.math.rsu.ru/smalltalk/russian.ru.html
(a basic knowledge of russian is required to read that page)
"Russian translation" means that *everything* is translated:
All class names (Point is now Tochka, but in cyrillic) and
all method names. The pseudovariable 'self' is now 'sam'
(in cyrillic, of course)
The files are in *rar-format (http://www.rarlab.com  http://www.rarsoft.com)
It runs under DOS (I did not try to bring it to live under Windows),
but I could not figure out how to configure the keyboard to enter
cyrillic text. Anyway, a russian Smalltalk is possibly not what
you are looking for.

The page http://www.math.rsu.ru/smalltalk/StExpress/download.ru.html
offers (among other things) the Digitalk product Smalltalk Express
for download. (I think that this is a file that years ago was offered
for download from Digitalk-ParcPlace - so I hope it is not a
copyright violation to download it.)
This edition is not translated into russian.

The pages at http://www.math.rsu.ru contain a reference to Squeak, too,
but I found no hint to cyrillic fonts for Squeak. A general question:
Is there any interest in cyrillic encodings?

Greetings,
Boris