Linux plugin functional?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Sep 23 10:32:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

> > I have a version that might work through the api on hopefully most Linux
> > browsers. If only I could test it!
>
> OK, I disabled the "magic" on squeakalpha.org (our test server), so
> every browser should try to use the api.

Okay. Still, the default in the image for API supported is "false". So on
any page that does not explicitely include the param, the api is not used.
For example, the no-api hack fails horribly when loading a page from the
local disk. Going through the API works fine here. Another case is when
the SRC is given as relative name. Works fine through browser, fails
otherwise.

I hacked HTTPClient>>browserSupportsAPI to always return true if
Smalltalk platformName = 'unix'. *Even* then, an HTTP connection is opened
when I load, e.g.,  the Essay from squeakalpha. Can this be because
CachingHTTPRequest is derived from HTTPRequest? IMO it should be a wrapper
that either uses HTTPRequest or PluginHTTPRequest.

Hmm, I tried subclassing CachingHTTPRequest from PluginHTTPRequest.  It
still opens an HTTP connection. Where does this come from? It must be the
API. Could you fix that?

And could you included this changeset in at least the plugin image? It
wouldn't hurt in the bas image, too:
	http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1930.html
This removes that endless loop when the image tries to ensure the
existence of the user directory, but fails to do that because of the file
sandbox. Another possibility would be fixing FileDir>>ensureExistence.

> If you get unsupported browser, please send me the id strings.

Opera/6.02 (Linux 2.4.9-31smp i686; U) [en]
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux 2.4.9-31smp i686; U) Opera 6.02 [en]
Mozilla/4.78 (Linux 2.4.9-31smp i686; U) Opera 6.02 [en]
Mozilla/3.0 (Linux 2.4.9-31smp i686; U) Opera 6.02 [en]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Linux 2.4.9-31smp i686) Opera 6.02 [en]

Aren't these in your log files? ;-)

-- Bert