Is Squeak usable on Sharp Zaurus SL-5X00

Tommy Thorn thorn at meko.dk
Sat Sep 28 09:17:15 UTC 2002

Andy Stoffel wrote:

>I see from browsing the list back in August (Aug 7th-10th) that
>several people were talking about running Squeak on the Linux
>version of the Zaurus and I found several references here:

Yeah, my version of the story isn't up to date alas. However, I've
uploaded a snapshot of "my" sources as well as a working binary to my
server.

http://not.meko.dk/Zaurus-Squeak-snapshot.tar.gz
http://not.meko.dk/squeak

The former is the mentioned sources, the latter the binary.

This particular VM uses DirectFB (I didn't write the support, but
unfortunately I don't remember who did right now) and must be run
*outside* Qtopia.  That is, from the application launcher run Shutdown,
select Terminate Qtopia, and quickly press "/" at the console Wait...
prompt, followed by "a" for a login prompt. Log in as root and launch
Squeak for example like this:

squeak -calibrate -rotate -memory 10m dynapad.image

It's usable, but it could be much better. For example:

- Power management is totally lacking.  There's currently no way for
Squeak to detect some amount of idle time, nessesary for it is suspend
by itself.  You can suspend manually by

    (StandardFileStream fileNamed: '/proc/sys/pm/suspend') nextPutAll:
'1'; close.

- The keyboard is mostly working, but control and other modifiers aren't
working.

- The touchpad is working, but the current filtering needs to be improved.

- There is no support for the five special keys Zaurus.

etc....

>I was wondering if anyone had Squeak running better on it than was
>reported back in August ...

I haven't had time to make progress.  Maybe others have.

>and... (besides 'where can I get it from') which is the best technique
>to have it running - frame buffer or Qtopia (X) and drawbacks of either.

There are actually three different options:
- Framebuffer
- Atop Qtopia
- and under X.

Each have their merits.

The framebuffer version is for people like me who seen the Zaurus as
nothing more than a convenient handheld platform for Squeak. It follows
that you would want to get rid of Qtopia and all other things stealing
resources away from Squeak.

The Qtopia version (so far nonexisting) is for using Squeak without
loosing access to the rest of Qtopia and the Zaurus applications.

The X version is the highest overhead way to achieve this, but it works
and currently is the only alternative to the framebuffer solution.

Maybe Somebody should copy this answer to the swiki page.

All the best,

  Tommy
PS: Having Squeak in the pocket device rocks