Symbian platform port

Frank Shearar frank at angband.za.org
Fri Sep 27 12:35:09 UTC 2002

"Cees de Groot" <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote in message
news:alprv3$s9t$1 at home.cdegroot.com...
> Chris Double <chris at double.co.nz> said:
> >1) No mouse or stylus. Only a keyboard is available. There is a
> >   'virtual cursor' that can be controlled with a direction pad but
> >   that could be quite painful to use.
> >
> There's a project on SourceForge (called epocmouse or something like that)
> that strives to develop the hard- and software to enable you to attach a
mouse
> to the Communicator. The hardware seems to be there (schematics are on the
> site), and I think reading the serial port for mouse information would be
not
> very hard. The project seems to have stalled; it's probably quite complex
> insert a mouse driver into the OS and have it replace the direction pad,
but I
> think on the level of a Squeak VM this would be a much simpler thing to
> tackle.

Is it then not feasible to write a mouse simulator that wraps the direction
pad? I've only done a couple hours' work with the Symbian SDK, so I'm pretty
much clueless as to its workings, unfortunately.

Would one then be able to craft a VM that didn't use a mouse? I'm thinking
here of being able to write applications in Squeak to run on the phone, much
as one writes Java ME apps...

frank