Starting the clock...

Alan Grimes squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun Sep 1 18:27:35 UTC 2002

Bob Arning wrote:
> What I'm not clear on is the relative importance to your project of
>         - the bitmap-like qualities of an ImageMorph
>                         vs.
>         - the world/container qualities of a PasteUpMorph

They are both important.
The first is required for the AI to function, and the second is required
to give it a sufficiently interesting world to interract with. Eg: I
should be able to drop in an instance of ChessMorph...

> If it is the latter, the you might try something like this
> =============
> aiworld _ PasteUpMorph new extent: 400 at 400; openInWorld.
> aiworld addMorph: (RectangleMorph new position: 100 at 100).
> aiworld addMorph: (EllipseMorph new position: 200 at 200).
> aiworld imageForm inspect.      "<--your ai could 'read' this form to
> see wwhat's happening"
> =============

Now this is something I wouldn't have guessed!!!

>From my tinkering with it I have found that this seems to dump a copy of
the screen display including borders.

This has several drawbacks.
	-- it is not synchronized with the pasteup. The AI may indeed be very
slow but even still it has to think it is running at normal speed
regardless of how much time it takes to execute.
	-- It involves a copy operation which adds a significant ammount of
overhead.

Even still, I had not known this approach was even possible so this is
indeed very interesting.

--
Latancy is your enemy.
Bandwidth is your friend.