String>>hash performance

Richard A. O'Keefe squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Sep 5 00:43:18 UTC 2002

	>Squeak 3.2, latest update: #4952,
	>on a 266 MHz Power Macintosh G3 running MacOS 8.6.
	>The application folder is "Squeak 3.2.7Beta6.app".
	>The whole thing was downloaded from st.cs.uiuc.edu.

	Hmm... just to be sure, you are running Squeak 3.2.7Beta6 and
	still getting 'MiscPrimitivePlugin 30 May 2001 (i)'? I just fired up the
	same VM and got 'MiscPrimitivePlugin 9 May 2002 (i)'. Is it possible you
	have more than one VM and it's the other that's actually running?

That's _it_!

I am a bear of very little brain.
If I'm told "download this, run it by clicking on the .image file",
that's what I do, no more, no less.

I have Squeak 2.7, Squeak 2.8, and Squeak 3.0.1 all on the same machine.
(Mind you, I haven't actually _used_ 2.7 in a while, but I have been
flipping beween 2.8, 3.0.1, and 3.2 to make sure things worked in all of
them.)

I've never had a problem with multiple versions of other programming
language environments.  (For example, I have two versions of CodeWarrior,
three versions of Clean, and who knows how many of other things.)  It
hasn't been a problem because I start them by clicking on the _application_
icon.

In retrospect, MacOS was *telling* me that it was the 3.0 VM,
but initially I didn't know that the 3.2 VM was supposed to be
different, and by the time I did, I was long past noticing what MacOS
was telling me.

What should I do so that clicking on a (2.8,3.0,3.2) .image or .changes
file will start a (2.8,3.0,3.2) VM?  Or should I care?  Will the 3.2 VM
handle all of them?  How then do I make MacOS use the 3.2 VM?