[Survey] About the cognitive surcharge of super

Ned Konz squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Sep 9 14:29:30 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 07:04 am, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:
> I think it is understandable that people consider "super" to be a
> different object than self, since it appears to be a different
> referent, to use the linguistic term.  By changing the name you
> appear to change the referent but you actually change the message
> lookup which is something much more subtle.

Perl 5 has a very similar concept (that is, start the message lookup=20
skipping the current namespace) that is also called "SUPER" but it's=20
written as a pseudo-class name:

=09package Whatever;
=09 at Whatever::ISA =3D ('BaseClass1', 'BaseClass2')
=09my $object =3D bless {}, 'Whatever';
        $object -> SUPER::someMethod();  # starts lookup in BaseClass1=20
rather than in Whatever.

--=20
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com