[Q] MinneStore tips

Magistrello Alejandro SFA squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Sep 10 19:32:21 UTC 2002

>Hey all!
hi !

[...]
>With SMS, you have a database,and within a database, you have object
>sets.  Like a table in a SQL db, I suppose.  Would it be better to
>have logically grouped sets of objects be in their own DB or just in
>an object set?  Makes sense to me to have it in just an object set-
>the obj set shouldn't get much larger than a few MB.

I think that you can have all in the same db, just remember the files limit
is 9999 by object set, this says that if the objectSet has defined 1
objectPerFile then you can store up to 9999 objects in that OS.

>Has anyone here used SMS much? Any wisdom to impart? :) Esp wrt how to
>use such a tool properly and get the best performance out of it.

Haven't used very much, but, depends on the size of the objects you're
storing how to define the objectsPerFile parameter, its convenient to have
more small objects in one file, and the big ones in their own file.

If you are planning to store many objects, the first time its convenient to
define the indexes once that the objects are stored.

There are some fixes from Robert Jarvis and i, sended to the MS mailinglist
that i think you can try to upload (if you haven't done).

HTH
Best regards.
Alejandro