squeak-dev now accessible by mail-to-news backend

Steve Elkins squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Sep 13 00:16:13 UTC 2002

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> writes:

> But I'm guessing that if some people start using gmane to read the
> squeak list, they'll post with an unsubscribed address like I did,
> since otherwise (if they are subscribed and receive list mail), why
> bother using gmane to post?

I'm subscribed but I have 'nomail' set.  I keep an eye on several
lists with heavy traffic and prefer a news interface.  <shrug>

> (Or do messages posted through gmane show up to squeak-dev as being
> from gmane, so that squeak-dev could be set up to allow any postings
> from gmane?  Not sure if that's a good or bad idea, but supposedly
> gmane filters spam, so it might work.)

Well, that's what I thought, but I can't prove it.

> On another note, when someone is unsubscribed and posts to
> squeak-dev, and then the post is approved by an admin (several hours
> later), does that person's posting address get added to the list of
> valid addresses so that future posts do not need to be approved by
> hand?  That would seem to make sense, since a spammer is not going
> to go through the trouble of crafting a valid message first.  This
> way, someone posting the first time would only experience a delay
> the first time he/she posted.

It makes sense to me, too, but I don't think Mailman works that way.
I'd love to be mistaken about this, too.

Cheers,
Steve

--
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
		-- Laurence J. Peter