Squeak Life: an artificial life simulation

Brian Keefer squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Sep 20 03:14:12 UTC 2002

Roland Bertuli wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have made an artificial life simulation, try it
> Unzip the archive, load the change set and launch "SqueakLife start"
>
> All informations are on:
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2723
>
> See also my web site:
> http://rolab.free.fr
>
> Enjoy yourself
>
> Roland.

The .cs in the zip file seems to be line-terminated with unixish LFs (and
my unzip program promises to never auto-mangle). It still compiles right,
but the sources are a jumble of wrapped lines.
The first change I made was to put a ^ in SqueakLife class>>start, so I
can easily explore the little land as it runs. Tell the AreaMorph to add
"100 timesRepeat: [self addBeast: self center color: Color black behavior:
BehaviourAvoid]", and throw in one psycho. Hmm, the eating is too slow, so
BehaviourPsycho>>findRecommendation gets its time reduced.  As the Psycho
grows large, it seems to have its "mouth" offset from the big black blob.
The blob has now wandered out of the life window's view, only window
clipping is keeping it from swallowing my Browser. If I add another batch
of tasties, they simply wink out of existence, one by one.
One thing that I don't like is the re-use of the word Behaviour, it's too
important a system faucility to dance around. I also like the sound of
"Habitat" better than "Area".