SqueakMap 5:th release!

Göran Hultgren squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Sep 24 18:39:05 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Just released SqueakMap with some nice/cool additions:
http://anakin.bluefish.se:8000/gohu/11

Don't miss the additional fix I threw up there too. Daniel - I have not
integrated you Loader yet - but this release should be interesting for you (a
number of the things we have been talking about are now reality).

I haven't updated the entry in SqueakMap itself yet though because this release
contains some fairly new code that I haven't had time to bang my keyboard on. :-)

Features to notice:

- New installer architecture to be able to deal with different "package" types
more easily. Anyone wants to add an Installer class for 3.3a Modules? Or for
Projects? (.pr-files) Or some nifty other source formats like SIF?

- The client now sends "SMSqueakMap version" in the update requests and the
server can then "refuse" to serve a client with a too small version number. This
was added to help us later when we have a lot of users of SqueakMap and we need
to evolve it. We will only raise this version number when the SqueakMap code
changes so much that the client needs to be updated.

- Now SMSqueakMapBrowser only has buttons for "download" and "install". The
former always tries to unpack. Any old files are now overwritten. The menu
choices and the buttons are now sensitive to whether the package actually can be
downloaded and/or installed.

- A new button has appeared in SMSqueakMapBrowser called "fast install package".
It has a menu (ripped off) similar to the "new morph..." menu. You simply select
the package you want and bam, there you go! Can't get any faster than that!
(need to add some "Cursor sleep" stuff there...)

- SqueakMap now remembers (but only in RAM, not in the logfile - but it does
actually log it in the ChangeSet so that it stands a fair chance to remain
"correct" in case of an image recovery operation) what packages you have
installed and their version names! This means it can present them in a menu and
also show which packages are "upgradeable" (=new version available according to
SqueakMap). Do note though that simply filing in again might not be a good
upgrade method! But it does offer you to enter a new name for the changeset in
order to avoid clashing with the old one etc. Some way to clear out the
information on what packages are installed (if it gets corrupted) would be nice
to add too.

This "fast install package"-menu is my "take" on the minimal UI for SqueakMap
that we are thinking of putting into the regular 3.2 update stream - just the
menu. The menu would typically be available somewhere in Squeak and the map
would automatically do a "load updates" before it pops up (in the browser you
need to press that button manually first).

Currently it shows installable packages (packages that some installer says it
can install), installed packages and upgradeable packages. Any choice tries to
install the latest version of that package - even if it is already installed.
Rather neat. The label between parentheses shows installed and/or available version.

Now I am off to Greece! Will be back on monday.

regards, Göran

PS. Personally I think I would vote for this alphabetic menu to be the "base
minimal UI" in 3.2 and the next level would be Daniels Loader (which is a
simplified SMSqueakMapBrowser) and then if you really want to get confused you
install SMSqueakMapBrowser. The last two should of course simply be installable
packages using the alphabetic manu. DS

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek