Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Apr 1 01:33:21 UTC 2003

I don't know, I don't think forcing people is the issue here. Most
people loading code are loading it either as part of their own code
management system, whatever that may be, or from SM, or from the
FileList. Whatever tools we make available there, will determine what
people can use.

In SM, packages of th DVS type, could preferentially be loaded using an
appropriate loader, that detects and raises exception for redefinitions.
This will be quite easy as soon as we start using services instead of
hardwired options in SMLoader. We could start doodling with this now,
nothings stopping us.

Installing DVS could also add this service to the FileList, and that's
most of the coverage needed.

We don't need to maintain an absolute invariant here, we need to give
people a way to often detect when they're loading something that will
cause problems in the future.

Daniel