Squeak Xbox port

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 1 13:03:54 UTC 2003

From: "Cees de Groot" <cg at cdegroot.com>

> "My reaction on the Squeak Xbox port: way cool."

It's fun to see Squeaky smiling from another new platform, but in the end,
as the article points out, the XBox is nothing more than a PC in chains, so
the "port" is really little more than undoing the restraining kludges MSoft
nailed on.  I'd be *much* more impressed to see someone do the opposite of
porting open software to proprietary systems . . .

> "And it goes to show that in the coming years, we may have some more
headaches to deal with than just the licensing stuff."

Indeed.  With media of all types now being defended under what might be
called an "amusement park" model -- you may play while you pay, but you own
nothing -- personal expression of ANY sort is in real jeopardy.

Gary Fisher