Running Squeak apps off the net

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Apr 1 19:36:07 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 10:19 am, jennyw wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:16:52AM -0700, Brian Brown wrote:
> > Yes, you can provide a URL for a Squeak project... you can also
> > load and *save* projects to an ftp site for example.
>
> Using Scamper? Are there examples of this?  I assume this isn't
> just pointing to a .sar file?

This doesn't use Scamper or SAR files. Look at the Navigator flap, or
the Projects menu.

> No, I'm thinking of an app. that exists locally, but if the server
> says there's a newer version, it'll update itself. This is how I
> think REBOL works. Storage could be on server or client.

I published a project at Squeakland-BSS (get the newest one!) called
TestProjectFreshening-nk that will update a Project if necessary upon
opening the project (that is, going to the project from some other
project, or opening it from a browser).

I just added a Project>>freshen method (mostly copied from
loadFromServer:), and a script for the World that runs this upon
opening.

Crude but effective. It's more a proof of concept than anything else,
but someone might want to run with it.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com