A naive question about the speed optimization of anthony

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 1 20:06:00 UTC 2003

Hi

I do not want that this email is taken in the wrong way. So be positive
when reading it. I will try not to fall on the keyboard (TM Andreas)
this time.

I was just asking myself the following question:

- Anthony mentioned that with his optimisations with full blockclosures
were getting 30% speed to squeak and ***true block closure***.
- Allen Wirfs-brock mentioned that the techniques used were used all
over the places by other Smalltalk.
- I had the impression that still what anthony was doing was a problem
for the VM guys (I may be wrong)

I would like to understand if
	(1) what he did is good,
	(2) what are the problems to introduce them in Squeak (for example
with the optimizations is seaside continuation passing style still
working),
	(3) what would we lose,
	(4) what is the path to go with that?

So tell me

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html