[ENH] OptionalWarningForMacOSFileNameLength-dgd

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Apr 2 22:25:50 UTC 2003

Well I did see a restriction to 31 characters for a platform that might
support 255 characters.  You restrict to
31, why not 8.3 for the DOS users? Well I assume you're fixing issues
with mac os-x/windows? users in generating changesets for pre-ox mac
users, but will the windows users care enought to turn Preferences
warningForMacOSFileNameLength on, or is that the default. ? Also note I
can type 31 chars, then when we zip the file, how many characters does
the name change to, should it really be 27 so I can tack .zip on the
changeset name?

I changed ioSetScreenSize on the mac a few years ago to enable some
folks at Disney to flip screen resolutions, Apple always said doing
that was a no-no but relented after the gaming industry committed
various crimes in this area, originally this routine really didn't do
much beyond dealing with full screen. Now however
it attempts to flip the display device to the given resolution/size and
then full screen or not depending on the flag.

I can see based on Andreas note from the 31st we don't follow the rules
with what fullscreen means, Guess I'm waiting for 3.6 now then will
follow up with this request.

I'm not sure about your comment about going back? If you can flip from
1024*768 to 640*480 I'm sure you can flip back to 1024*768 again? No?

Guess I'm waiting for 3.6 now

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 10:22  AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> you obviously missed the point - file out names on *any* platform
> should be limited to the lowest common acceptable denominator (DOS 8.3
> would not be acceptable).
>
> Apropos Mac: Andreas recently clarified the behaviour of the
> ioSetScreenSize primitive. AFAICT the Mac implementation does not
> comply, because it changes the display resolution even if fullscreen
> was not requested. Similarily, there is no way to go back to the
> original resolution. Are you going to change this?
>
> -- Bert--
===