Porta-Squeak

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Apr 3 01:52:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org wrote:

Hello again,

>   As I wrote in an email, this can be quite possible because the
> bytecode range check is not omitted in the interpreter loop for WinCE
> VMs.  I don't know the snappiness you're feeling, but this is be
> interesting.

I'm not sure where it is coming from either.  The benchmarks I cited in
the list message I just sent out have the Zaurus 5500 at 22.5% faster in
bytecodes/sec than the iPAQ or J720, but it feels a lot faster than that
20% margin.  When I tap on the background, it takes at least a full second
to bring up a World menu in either 2.8 or 3.4 (even longer) on the WinCE
machines; on the Z, less than a half a second.  It is quite surprising.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips