Porta-Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 3 05:07:32 UTC 2003

Well just for comparison purposes and as a minor puzzle I add the
following info to the mix; my seven year old Acorn RPC with StrongARM
206 upgrade, 16MHz 32 bit wide memory bus (no ddr ram or any of that
newfangled yankee stuff) gets 12mbc/s and 440000 sends/sec. So several
years of 'advancement' by Intel and compilers that are supposedly more
advanced than my ancient written by a couple of cranky old Cambridge
University prof-geeks C compiler gets us what exactly? Not much actual
advancement from the looks of it. What I want to know is where is my
GHz+ ARM with a decent memory bus? It's been promised for years...

tim
Be careful when a loop exits to the same place from side and bottom.