Porta-Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 4 00:21:56 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Since the M$ compiler doesn't so far as I know allow global
> > register variables I doubt it would work.
>
> There's still no gcc for WinCE?! I'm surprised... what about XScale?! Last
> time I heard something it sounded as if Intel had a gcc for it.
Don't know about that but even if they do I would suspect that there is
a very good chance that it still won't optimise ARM code properly. You
might remember that a loooong time ago Craig & I tried to do a decent
Squeak on the NetWinder but couldn't get decent performance with
anything past gcc 2.9-something or other because ofa fatal bug in gcc.
I tried to get past it a year or so later but it was still the same.

I suppose intel might have actually tackled the problem since then but
given the lousy job they appear to be doing with ARMs I wouldn't be in
the least surprised to find it still won't work. Somebody please prove
me wrong in this regard - I want to get a decent performance out of my
old NW.

tim

Old mail has arrived.