SqueakMap project visability

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Apr 5 01:03:13 UTC 2003

Ah. That's something I can learn from. If you think I lost important
information on the way, let me know.

[packages shouldn't disappear when I update the Squeak version, and
generally, being hidden is not a good response to being
not-version-approved, because it doesn't suggest the obvious options
(like take the risk anyway, or not)]
The initial logic behind filter was - it should basically show you
packages that can be installed easily and are very likely to do no harm.
More experienced users will remove protections/filters as they wish.
Therefore, don't show a package that's already up to date, don't show a
package that can't be autoinstalled, and don't show a package that's not
certified for the current version. It's consistent, if the user knows
that logic.

The problem is, that logic is NOT self evident to all users (could you
imagine that? ;-) at all times (when changing versions).

[Show version compatibility in bold, installation status in italics]
Does make the information more available, at the cost of stylistic
clutter.

I am a little loath to change the default filters, because it would stop
presenting a completely safe and simple state for newbies. Or maybe I'm
wrong about this. Below is an alternative suggestion.

It seems to me that part of the problem is that the state (filter
combination) is hidden most of the time (only accessible by explicitly
bringing up the menu). If it were constantly visible, as soon as you
can't find a package you expect, you'll see the explanation, and prod
the system to give you what you want. Say, a text box at the top saying
"Showing only package that are compatible with 3.6 AND are automatically
installable AND for which you don't have the latest version installed".

For the people that have stubbed their toes on this, would this solve
the problem? Should the default filter state change anyway, and let the
new comer see everything until he says different?

Daniel