WinCE VM Speed (again)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Apr 5 06:36:41 UTC 2003

Hello all!

Some of you may have seen my post about the conference at which I was
presenting Dynapad and Squeak today.  At the end of the day, a stroke of
pure and joyous irony, I happened to be the winner of the grand door
prize- a brand spankin' new Dell Axim!  The 300 MHz / 32 MB RAM / 32 MB
Flash model.  Having never won anything before, I was pretty excited, and
seemed fitting considering the independent research I do. :)

(Fellow Axim owners: What the hell us up with that stylus?! Like the
Original Newton MessagePad's carpenter-pencil, but so much thinner...)

Other than turn the thing on, the first thing I did was grab my Squeak CF
card from the Zaurus and try firing up both Dynapad R0.1 and my
slightly-shrunk but otherwise normal Squeak 3.4 image. Note: This is with
the Handheld PC 2000 VM. [1]

Curiously, Squeak "felt" slower on the Axim than the Zaurus even though it
was scoring around a million higher on the bytecodes/second in 0
tinyBenchmarks.  Anyone have any ideas? Just about any GUI/user input
seemed slower to process- opening the world menu, opening new windows,
etc.

[1] I tried the GAPI and non-GAPI VMs for PPC and ran into similar
performance on the non-GAPI VM, and screwed up drawing with the GAPI
version.   The Axim is running PPC 2002- perhaps I need to install a
newer or older (?) version of gx.dll...

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the only difference it makes if some dust on the clay"  :: atmosphere