[ANN][ENH] Skins II - preliminary release of a port of my old skins code to Squeak 3.4/5b/6a

Stephan B. Wessels swessels at one.net
Mon Apr 7 12:01:16 UTC 2003

In early February someone wrote me asking if I was ever going to
migrate my old Skins project from Squeak version 2.8 to something
useable by Squeak 3.4.  With a few good weekends recently available, I
completed a port.  It's actually a rewrite.

The work is published to SqueakMap and my own personal web page.
See http://w3.one.net/~swessels/pages/steve/squeak/index.html

I also published on the Squeak Swiki over the weekend.
See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1797

Both the Swiki and my home page contain details on the goals of the
project.  The primary change set contains a detailed edit history of
what's completed.  It's fairly functional now and I use it everyday.

The basic idea is that I didn't want to "port" the actual themes but
instead write a tool that would import standard open source themes
written by countless theme authors.  For the first pass at this I chose
the IceWM themes available for Unix.  See http://themes.freshmeat.net
and look for IceWM themes.

The second key objective is that I didn't want to write skin-specific
code in any of the tools or application classes in Squeak.  The skins
framework swaps out morphs and replaces them with the ones required to
support the theme.

And the final objective was that the user could change back to
non-skinned windows.  I wanted an enhancement that could live
along-side standard Squeak windows and be applied as desired.

To install the skins II stuff, you need to download a total of 4 change
sets, and some IceWM themes.  Those details are documented in the Swiki
and on my Squeak enhancements page.

There are some tweaks I am working on.  I currently have full text
colors, selection color and insertion point color as defined by the
theme, working.  I've attached a link to a picture.
http://w3.one.net/~swessels/pages/steve/squeak/images/latest-skin-
example.gif

An obvious next step (no pun intended) is to add an importer for
another open source theme family and refactor the framework as required.

  - Steve

--
Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival.
   - W. Edwards Deming