interesting library: www.libsdl.org

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Tue Apr 8 00:12:16 UTC 2003

Hello,
	In this post I will cover a number of issues relating to my efforts to
get squeak running in linear framebuffer mode.

1. Major setback: it seems that linux is horribly lacking in support for
actual hardware. =(((( This is not a squeak issue so I will ignore it in
all future postings with the working assumption that the problem is
already resolved...

2. Being a novice VM h4x0r, I rely heavily on the masters.
Unfortunately, the primary developer of the unix branch of squeak has
been MIA for nearly a month now. =( I would urge the maintainers to give
someone else responsibility for the port for the forseeable futrue. [I
would do it but I lack the skill, at present...]

3. In studying the framebuffer and looking at software that uses it, I
have found a very interesting library which seems to do alot of the
low-level work a framebuffer driver would need to do. (see link in
subject line). It would also seem that this system could be used on many
of the ports, even bringing BeOS up to date. Notably, it seems to
provide some measure of a thread library which would be very useful in
my interest in paralellizing the interpriter. Oppinions?

Thanx...

--
Having never read a manual, it takes less effort to hack something
togeather with www.squeak.org than it does with C++ and five books.