Squeak Xbox port

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Tue Apr 8 12:54:56 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>cgreuter at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Chris Reuter) wrote:
>

>>I don't see the X-Box being a practical Squeak platform unless you can
>>just insert the CD and run it.  Hmmm.  Maybe somebody could get MS to
>>give us a signed Squeak VM?  I mean, it's not like it's going to cut
>>into their market share or anything.
>>

>That's pretty much the point of the real meat of that posting. The
>control that M$ (et al.) get from a closed box with massive DRM built
>in.
>

>>Actually, I'm surprised nobody's tried porting Squeak to the Sega
>>Dreamcast.  The things are really cheap these days and you can get a
>>mouse and keyboard easily enough.   I actually have a copy of the
>>Linux port and it runs X just fine, so Squeak for Linux should port to
>>it easily enough.
>>

>Hadn't heard of that one and it's probably not important in market terms
>because Sega seems to be losing the race to stay in business.
>
>Another interesting target for Squeak is the PVR arena like the high end
>TiVo etc. Similar kid of hardware (less emphasis on 3D graphics I
>guess!) and similar potential for reaching many livingrooms.
>
>tim

I just wish the hardware manufacturers would come up with standard
casing for set top boxes so that I could fit a real (and open) PC in my
entertainment center.  Forget these proprietary machines (game consoles,
pvrs) that you have to hack into...they're a waste of time.  Maybe a
modified version of a 1U or 2U rack mount casing would work.

- Stephen