Heavy mailing list ...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Apr 9 09:47:31 UTC 2003

Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Would it be an idea to make a couple of other mailing lists?

This question pops up from time to time and we almost come to the same
conclusion every time. :-)

> "squeak-users" or something for general "How do I do this?" questions
> "squeak-announce" for those who just want to know what's happening.

We have had a couple of those earlier - they died. I looked around
currently and don't think any like those are active anymore (?). AFAIK
we have a couple of "special domain" lists like the  squeakland list
(for squeaklanders), the PWS list, the Seaside list for Seasiders etc.
And then we have two lists for Squeak itself - squeak-dev and
squeakfoundation.

Most people think that is enough and we instead rely on tags using
[BLABLA] in the subject to distinguish things - it works quite well.

> I've also got a threaded mail-reader (mozilla) with filtering set-up to
> isolate the Squeak traffic, but even so there's still a lot of mail to
> wade through to find the things I'm interested in. I'm not used to busy
> mailing lists.

Well, get used to it! :-) I don't think we are going to change this
unless the traffic becomes unbearable. And we aren't there yet IMHO. Use
the tags Luke. Or the digest.

I will also try to start including "thread urls" in my monthly report
which would make that monthly report "enough" for those that simply try
to "follow" Squeak without actually participating.

regards, Göran