Mac VM 3.5.0b4 lurks

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Apr 9 17:25:27 UTC 2003

I should point out that a mac vm 3.5.0b4 lurks in

ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.5alpha/mac/

This VM has has the following changes, beyond all the work to change
how the plugin logic works, the most significant performance change is
point (b) in the 3.5.0b3 work, so it's really really worth downloading
and trying.

3.5.0b4
a) os-x exposed an issue with EToyPeerToPeer support. It seems under
os-x we get the connect, data, close so fast on lans that by the time
we get around to asking for the remote IP address the connection is
closed, and our open transport call fails. We change SqMacNetwork.c to
return the IP address discovered at connect time in this case. Under
os-9 we never saw this behavior because we suspect the network activity
was slower and more serialized.

3.5.0b3 (Safari support)

a) The plugin logic was changed to support Safari and better support
os-x. This required building a CFM stub to load the mach-o compiled
NSPLugin. The mach-o plugin now uses a pthread for the interp.c loop.
This gives much better performance and user UI feedback.
b) The GC logic was carefully reworked to optimize the assembler on the
ppc. This gave us upwards of a 30-50% improvement, since incremental GC
is going on all the time, this change actually has a effect you can see
say in the solitaire example where we save 10%.
c) sqMacNetwork.c was modified, first change in many years. The remote
address and port number are requested as an async operation. The
operation times out after a few milliseconds. This was never a problem
in os-9. Now it seems there is an issue sometimes for DHCP clients on
os-x. There the operation can timeout and return 0 as the address or
port. We changed the call to do a sync operation to avoid a timeout.
d) sqMacMain.c was modified to allow for pthreads for mach-o netscape
based squeakland plugin support
e) sqMacMemory.c changes for mach-o plugin support
f) sqMacTime.c changes for  mach-o plugin support
g) sqMacUIEvents.c changes for mach-o plugin support
h) sqMacWindow.c changes for mach-o plugin support
i) npmac.cpp now this is a netscape glue routine, I changed it to
ensure we can see the entry points, originally they are C++, but need
to be "C" so the loader can find the names the CFM glue routine is
looking for. Also we add the logic TV2FP to setup the mach-0 to CFM
code stubs to allow the mach-o plugin to callback to the CFM stubs in
Safari.
j) sqMacNSPlugin.c
	1) Rearrange when the interpret() thread is started to ensure a race
condition doesn't happen.
	2) use Pthreads for the mach-o osx version.
	3) rework NPP_SetWindow to start interpret() when needed.
	4) Alter StartDraw, EndDraw to use a mutex lock and handle os-x port
locking to prevent races between pthreads.
	5) Alter ioShowDisplay, optimization and handle os-x
	6) fix ioSetFullScreen to make it work on Safari
	7) fix OpenFileReadOnly to make it work on os-x, needed
sqFileNameFromStringOpen macro call
	8) Alter ExitCleanup to mutex lock to prevent race ending issues, and
add a bit more cleanup

===