Building GUI Apps

Chris Burkert christian.burkert at s2000.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Apr 10 21:39:26 UTC 2003

Hi

Doug Way wrote:
[snip]
> I believe that BobsUI and CGUI are the only UI kits which are up to date with
> the latest versions of Squeak.

CGUI isn't so big and unfortunatly I don't have the time to work on it
every week. So BobsUI should be a better choice.

> Steve Graham wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in building GUI apps.  I've dabbled a
>>bit with Smalltalk V in the (way) past and have spent
>>the greater part of 22 years using procedural 3rd
>>generation languages.  Any comments on where to start?

Of course you have the standard Classes like SystemWindow or
SimpleButtonMorph in the image. Take a look at the existing applications.

There's also Zurgle on SqueakMap which provides a Win XP like look. But
I think there have been some bugs in the last time.

I think the real power is in building a special GUI for your special
application. All the boring gray widgets that we are used to in a
Windows World aren't what Squeak wants to copy. But it gives you the
power to build your own GUI easy and very fast!

Regards
            Chris Burkert
Student of applied Computer Science at Chemnitz University of Technology
      http://www.chrisburkert.de/            chris at chrisburkert.de