Need feedback on simple idea

Adam Spitz aspitz at student.math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 10 12:37:13 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> remove direct access to instance variables a la self

Oooh, yesyesyes! I've been wanting this in Squeak ever since I met Self.

Personally, I'm not too worried about the privacy issue. I've never
thought that this privacy stuff was as important as the Java/C++ folks
seem to think it is. In my opinion, the gains in simplicity and
uniformity are definitely worth it.

It ought to be possible to write a simple checker (a Lint rule?) that
would go through the image and find any method that has the same name as
an instance variable but isn't a simple accessor. If this is a goal the
community is interested in pursuing, I'd be willing to spend some time
cleaning up methods like this.

Adam Spitz