Need feedback on simple idea

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Apr 11 08:14:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> remove direct access to instance variables a la self
>
> Applicability to Squeak:
> 	- would break all the accessors that do something more that accessing
> 	(self changed) but we could use a dedicated parser/compiler so that the
> 	changes only impact a subset.

For what it's worth, in Slate we have this Self feature, and we are intent
on working around it; it is just as uncomfortable to use as described by
Tim and Richard. Our advantage is that we are building in the freedom to
give accessor method pairs (readers and writers) for non-default usages
(or /not/ give the accessors if they're not wanted): our methods are
annotated block closures, so this is possible.

For Smalltalk, this is not a design choice that should be included.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development
mailto:water at tunes.org