Need feedback on simple idea

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Fri Apr 11 14:59:55 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Did I say that we should change squeak?

In hindsight, I guess you did not.

> here is what I wrote:
>
> "I would like to know what you would think of the following change in
> Smalltalk.
> We are really in the mood to make some change in the compiler to play
> with the idea
> for our research."

Thanks for clearing that up.  I think the part of your message that
began:

> Applicability to Squeak:
> - would break all the accessors that do something more that accessing

is what misled me.

> On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 05:12 AM, Stephen Pair wrote:
> > Frank Sergeant wrote:
> >> And, VW added name spaces and look what it achieved.  VW 3.x had the
> >> refactoring browser.  That was thrown away in the move to VW 5.xx

> > You're absolutely right, we should just stop changing things.

I appreciate both Stef and Stephen holding my feet to the fire when I
get things wrong.  I especially appreciate Stephen's thoughtful
criticism of the points I was trying to make with the VW example,
although I fear he slightly oversimplified my position.

-- Frank