Need feedback on simple idea

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 11 19:23:06 UTC 2003

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 12:01  PM, Swan, Dean wrote:
> 	You also must consider that as a steward of the "kernel", inquiries
> about such interesting research topics coming from you can no longer
> be "innocent inquiries".
Exactly. Any form of 'authority' brings with it a sometimes onerous
burden of having to be very careful what you say.

On a more practical point, the idea of using self-like messages to
define instance variables would be acceptable IFF those messages were
properly private. In order to provide this privacy one would need to
implement some mechanism to allow properly private methods and the same
mechanism would (very likely) solve the worries about overly public
methods already in the system. I'd be quite happy to see such a privacy
mechanism if anyone has good ideas.

tim
tim at sumeru.stanford.edu