Squik language features

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at hetnet.nl
Mon Apr 14 07:40:17 UTC 2003

Hi Anthony.

Interesting idea. I have a few questions though:

* Will it be fast? Are you going to be compiling to machine code, or
interpreting? Or both?

* Will it be secure / modular / sandboxed? You mention Namespaces; does
that mean that the machine would be safe to run foreign code? Is this a
goal?

Also, a more general question. There are no instance variables and you
can only assign to them by doing #instVarAt:...
Now, this is a great idea, but will you be making "a := 2." shorthand
for "myObject #instVarAt: 4 put: 2."?

What happens in Squeak? I see instVarAt:put: in class Object, so does
that mean that ":=" get's turned into a "instVarAt:put:" by the
compiler? Is ":=" considered to be a message? Much in the same way, is
accessing an instance variable turned into an "instVarAt:" by the
compiler? This behaviour would be very handy; you could do useful things
like adding pre- and post- conditions to instance variable usage by
overriding these methods.

Michael.

p.s. congrats for getting into Georgia Tech!