KCP call for idea, experience

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 14 07:52:33 UTC 2003

> And I take it that the Environment is then accessed as a Process
> instance var or something like that? Inherited from parent processes?
>
> Because apart from the obviously necessary refactoring in
> SystemDictionary (into obliteration, I'd say ;-)), if someone is going
> to clean this particular closet it might be an idea to check (just
> check
> - you're walking the route anyway, so all I'm asking is to watch out
> for
> some extra interesting sight seeing points) whether we cannot
> alltogether remove this global thing. I think there are more projects
> than 'Squeak-E' which could profit from this.

I see your point. Cees I'm not good in concurrency and its implications.
I think that once SystemDictionary will be clean this would be much
easier to introduce what you say. Let's try to do it step by step but I
like the idea.
Stef

> <signature.asc>

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html