KCP call for idea, experience

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Apr 14 09:52:44 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > I tried to make already some conceptual groups
> >
> > 	- browsing (easy we can move that to systemNavigation)
> What would be wrong with moving them to Browser? Probably class side.
> "Browser onAllMethodsWhere:[:cm| cm primitive = 117 and:[cm literals
> second == 'FilePlugin']] " for example instead of "Smalltalk
> browseAllSelect:[:cm......"

Eh, well, since Browser is a UI that would tie the domain model to one
particular UI.
I would like to have a domain model independent of the UI as has been
suggested.
(Think Whisker, StarBrowser etc)

> > 	- namespace fonctionality (this is clearly the responsibility of
> > SystemDictionary 	so this should stay there)
> See above.
> >
> > 	- benchmarks (someone proposed to move the benchmarks into a separate
> > class, it 	is correct or did I get hallucinations?)
> Moved to MacroBenchmarks by Markus D and Benchmarks (for the old Green
> Book benchmarks) by me. Could do with merging I suggest.

Yes, and this brings me to one little thing - Stephane, if you want to
stay a bit ahead - please install my little aggregated removal script on
SM:

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/aggregated

It will install all 10 removals currently on SM in a working order with
prereqs. This includes the benchmarks removal from Marcus and much more.
This could save you from redundant work since these removals will soon
go into the 3.6 update stream. Note that the reverse of this script has
not been verified (getting it all back) and the draft plan for 3.6 that
I will post in an hour or two (urging prompt discussion) dwells on how
we should go about this problem.

Otherwise I think Tim gave you some good feedback overall. Would be
interesting to see a proposal posted when you get something nailed down.

regards, Göran