KCP call for idea, experience

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Mon Apr 14 19:16:32 UTC 2003

Hi Tim,

>> 	- space profiler (-> Profiler class ?)
>>
>> 	- shrink scripts (May be this was for shrinking that someone proposed
>> to move the 	them into a separate class, it is correct ?)

>Will cease to be needed seen, if all goes to plan.

	Even if everything goes to plan, there will still be a need for the space profiling tools.  Even with a small core image and adding selected packages, some people will still care about the total system resource requirements (i.e. people like Jon Hylands) because they will be running in a resource constrained environment (i.e. PDA, etc.).  The space profiling methods in SystemDictionary are quite helpful for this kind of activity.

	As to the shrink scripts, the ones currently in the image may no longer be required (or even useful), but they do serve as examples of how to remove different parts of the system, so I think they should be kept 'someplace' or be replaced by some kind of image 'pruning' tool.

			-Dean