Distributed Squeak

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Apr 15 00:29:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 23:18, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> And... don't forget that you *have* distributed computation with an
> OODB! Obviously the objects must move into a running Smalltalk in order
> to be processed (instead of being on the disk). And where that running
> Smalltalk is placed in the network is irrelevant.

What's mostly missing in that picture is asynchonicity; typically,
dependents are not serialized into an object database. Probably for good
reasons, too ;-), but I miss it now and then.

I do agree that this thing might turn out to look a lot like an OODB.

Oh, Michael: read the original Addison-Wesley Jini and Javaspaces books.
Wrong language, yes, but generally a very good overview of the various
bits and pieces you are going to need in lots of distributed
architectures.