[UPDATES] 4 more for 3.6alpha

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 16 06:26:43 UTC 2003

Ok you know more than me on that, so we continue for now like that.

stef

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 03:51 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Assuming I'll still be the one harvesting KCP work (as I proposed),
> that
> will happen starting in May. Anyhow, I propose to continue with the
> removals, and where they conflict with KCP updates, we'll just have to
> update the packages. Note that since most install packages for the
> removals have already been created, there is no way we can avoid this
> work anyway, really.
>
> Daniel
>
> Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
>>
>> Stephane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Tell me how you want us to proceed. because if we have to check all
>>> the
>>> removals
>>> this may be really a tedious process and still I think that this
>>> would
>>> be better that the maintainer of the removal checks if there are
>>> clashes for practical reason.
>>
>> This is a good question.  Since both the KCP work and the package
>> removals are
>> significant changes, there will probably be some conflicts, although
>> hopefully
>> not too many.  This is why our 3.6 plan proposal lists a sort of rough
>> ordering of priority, so that we do one before the other.  (Trying to
>> do them
>> both at the same time would probably be more difficult.)
>>
>> The big question is whether to do the package removals first, or the
>> KCP/MCP/etc. work first.  Whoever goes first does have the easier
>> job. :-)
>>
>> I think it probably is best to do the removals first, simply because
>> getting
>> started on splitting up the image is the most important goal of 3.6,
>> and it's
>> probably a generally good strategy to start on the most important
>> stuff first,
>> just to make sure it gets done.  The KCP stuff is also important, of
>> course,
>> so we'd want to start on that soon after the removals.
>>
>> So unfortunately I guess this means that you will need to check for
>> conflicts
>> with the removals.  However, I don't think this will be *too*
>> difficult if you
>> use some tools.  My ConflictChecker tool, which is on SqueakMap, was
>> designed
>> to look for these sorts of conflicts.  (See also
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3156 .)
>>
>> If you used the ConflictChecker, you could load the package removals
>> first (in
>> the latest 3.6alpha actually, with updates going back to 3.4), and
>> then use
>> the "check conflicts" menu in the filelist for each KCP changeset.
>> This would
>> be easier if you have combined your changesets into a smaller group,
>> so that
>> you don't have to check 47+ changesets one at a time.  (The
>> ConflictChecker
> [...]
Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html