Two new development lists.

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 16 16:28:57 UTC 2003

But Alan why do you use tags in this list. I could be interested as we
are cleaning the kernel but I do not want to be in yet another list.

Stef

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 09:21 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> What's the point of these lists? Don't you think these issues can (and
>> should) be discussed here?
>
> In theory, yes.
> but then I'm not a cyborg, Infact I read quite slow. -- probably due to
> general brain overload...
>
> While this is indeed a great list, it tends to receive an immense
> ammount of trafic, I tend to delete roughly 75% of it without reading..
>
> As there are quite a few topics on this list that I find uninteresting
> assume that the subjects of high-performance/high security squeak are
> of
> a similarly narrow audience. I would expect that a great many people
> are
> happy with the open architecture of squeak and have little interest in
> MP/security related issues.
>
> Similarly, I expect many of the people on this list are content running
> squeak under some existing windowing system and have little desire to
> read many posts related to getting it to run in a linear framebuffer
> type setup -- or other steps towards thinning out the hardware
> abstraction layer.
>
> So, out of courtesy, I decided to set up my own lists that will take
> most of the volume related to these subjects and publish only sumaries
> and announcements on this list...
>
> --
> Having never read a manual, it takes less effort to hack something
> togeather with www.squeak.org than it does with C++ and five books.
> http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html