[Squeakmap] feature request

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Apr 17 08:29:49 UTC 2003

"Hernan Tylim" <htylim at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Right now minnow seems to be down and that made me think that an
> interesting feature for Squeakmap would be to allow more than one download
> point for a package.
>
> 	What do you think? Already included on SM1.1?

Well, at least planned - not yet implemented! The idea is that when
registering a package release with it's download url there will be two
extra features:

1. Optional upload onto the SM server to use that as the storage point.
2. Optional checkbox to let SM "mirror" the download url entered. This
way SM would fetch the file from the url and mirror it on the SM server.
Then later - when people try to install a package and the original url
doesn't respond it can "fall back" and take the mirrored file on the SM
server instead.

And to round it off SM1.1 includes a proper package cache so once you
have a package release downloaded it can just use the cached file.
Unless you force it to download again of course.

> Regards,
> Hernan

regards, Göran