[CONNECTORS] performance improvement idea (was RE: [Q] slow animated dashed lines/connectors)

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Apr 19 15:05:57 UTC 2003

Hi,
	I have a similar problem and what I thought to improve the UI
response when using too many connectors was to modify the connector's
step mechanism so they would step in a thread/process with less priority
than the UI thread (rather than in the same as it is now). About the
morphic calls that would be needed to be executed by the connector on
its step method (like for example #position) they would be executed with
a #addDeferredUIMessage:.

	My guess is that when you have too many connectors and they only
are computing constraints (there are not too mach drawing involved) all
this #step execution shouldn't affect the UI no more. But I didn't test
it.

	In your particular case I don't know if it would help because it
seems there are too many draws, though

	Ned, What do you think about this idea? Is it doable?

NOTE: I didn't execute any profiler so I don't really know that the step
methods are the ones causing the sluggishness.

Thanks,

Regards,
Hernán