Debug it mysteries

Anthony Adachi adachipro at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 20:14:25 UTC 2003

Hello all!

I'm new to Squeak (and am not a professional
programmer) so please forgive my ignorance. I'm
encountering difficulties in attempting to step
through code. A strange error occurs when I highlight
an expression in a WorkSpace and select "debug it"
from the menu resulting from option + click (I'm using
a Mac).

In the top pane of the Debug it window the following
text appears:

UndefinedObject>>DoIt
[] in
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>debug:receiver:in:
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess

In the middle pane the following appears:

...with the expression: 100 factorial.

DoIt
^ 100 factorial

...with the expression: Transcript show: 'I am here'.

	DoIt
	^ Transcript show: 'I am here'

What does the "UndefinedObject" text mean?

Note, that the code in the Workspace executes as
expected if I click command + D or "print it".

By the way, I'm following the instructions at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2131

I'm using Squeak 3.5 on Mac OS 9.1.

Thanks,

Anthony