Magma isn't working.

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at hetnet.nl
Fri Apr 25 07:17:21 UTC 2003

Ahh.. Magma isn't doing it for me. The first step fails:

  MagmaRepositoryController
    create: '/home/mikevdg/sq/myRepository.magma'
    root: Dictionary new.

I don't know how to cut&paste a stack dump, but it fails first with an
error:
"MessageNotUnderstood: binary", and the offending message send seems to
be in "MaLargeCollectionOfIntegers>>create:" which looks like this:

create: fileNameString
    file _
        (FileStream concreteStream new
            open: fileNameString
            forWrite: true) binary.
    self writeHeader

(FileStream concreteStream new) is a StandardFileStream, and the
"binary" method seems to exist in that class.

I've got.. let me see.. a highly modified 3.6 alpha image, updated, with
all sorts of things installed (Zurgle is just plain cool :-) ), running
on a Debian unstable system. I've also tried it on the 3.5 image
downloaded a few minutes ago from the website; same behaviour. If I keep
trying to get Magma going, then I just keep getting other errors.

What is the current status of Magma (on SqueakMap)? Does it work for
other people?

Michael.