Magma Install Qs

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Apr 25 22:10:16 UTC 2003

I just installed Magma so I can learn development with it.

I naively installed as thus:

1. Magma Server
2. Magma Client
3. Magma Tester
4. Ma Client Server
5. Ma Time Objects

I was consistently told that a cs of the same name existed and to either
accept or cancel...

This happened the entire process after the Magma Server was installed.
I accepted in order to continue the install process.

I decided to take a look at the Magma sars (can I say sars without
scaring everybody :) file to see what could be done in the install
process to change my experience.

What I noticed is that my Magma Server has a newer Ma Time Object than
the Ma Time Object sar had. :(

Since I installed the Ma Time last would I be correct in presuming I
should redo the Ma Time from the Magma Server?

After seeing the Ma Time sar it seems an unnecessary install after
having installed the Magma Server.

In fact from further browsing it seems (at least on initial browse) that
I could get everything from Magma Tester. It seems to be the superset of
all Magma.

After Tester, Server seems to have all everything else has. Then Magma
Client, then Ma Client Server, then last of all Ma Time.

I saw little indication in SM that Magma Tester would provide everything
or that there was so much overlap. Seems the install packages need to be
refactored considering the commonality and prerequisite nature of some
of the packages.

Maybe Magma Base, Magma Client, Magma Server, Ma Time.
But let someone know in SM that in Ma Time if you have ... you have Ma
Time. Most all common code should go into Magma Base.

Just some observations, thoughts and (apparently opinions) from my
experience. I am really not complaining, only trying to help point our
areas that seem to be improvable.

Well to end on a positive note. Time to go home but hope to try out
Magma this weekend. I have great hopes for its use in many projects.

Thanks Chris for all the work and this tremendous opportunity. :)

Jimmie Houchin