Magma Install Qs

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 15:28:18 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I saw little indication in SM that Magma Tester would provide everything
> or that there was so much overlap.

Yes, there is little/no indication in SqueakMap.  It's on the Swiki.  I'll see
about improving that.  But you came to exactly the correct conclusion with
regard to the prerequisites.  If you install Magma tester, you have EVERYTHING
you need.  And yes, Magma server includes Magma client.

> Seems the install packages need to be
> refactored considering the commonality and prerequisite nature of some
> of the packages.

Actually, it's because they *are* well-factored that has led to this confusion.
 Prerequisite packages are a fact of any modularized system.  SqueakMap is a
wonderful system that has given us one-click install of packages.
Unfortunately, it does not support prerequisites, which Magma requires.
However, I didn't want to abandon SqueakMap's flagship feature (one-click
installation).

My solution was my own private enhancement to SARDumper so it would include all
prerequisite packages as defined in
MagmaTesterPackageInfo>>prerequisitePackages.

This solution works well for keeping with simple one-click installation, but
the disadvantage for me is, whenever a prereq package changes such as Magma
client, I have to deploy new versions of server and tester as well.

I'm glad you got it going, let me know if you have any other issues.