Aggregated removal script for 3.6

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Apr 29 10:31:12 UTC 2003

Hi!

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> Hi Goran,
>
> Nice... we should really think about *adding* this stuff to the image.
> Not everything in one big lump, but incrementally.=20

I agree. The idea I had was to eventually build some kind of "test
server" (still on my drawing board) and in any case I thought these
removals needed testing "in combination" and not just one by one. I
assume there is a risk that they somehow interact so that in the end
some weird combination simply doesn't work.

But if we create the "verification" packages (those that test that an
installed package works) that you described earlier for these removals -
then perhaps that will be enough. The "dreaded" combination-bugs will
probably be found and dealt with during alpha.

I am all for getting these into the update stream ASAP - I mean, we are
in alpha land know - let's go! :-) Unfortunately I have been a bit
occupied lately but i am getting more time Very Soon Now (we have a
release tomorrow of a Dolphin product).

> I suggest to start with the Tests-Removal package: This a) works
> for me (hehe! ;-) b) comes with tests (trivially) and c) does not
> interfere with any other project (e.g. KCP, MCP).

Why not?

> It simply (IMHO of course) does NOT MAKE ANY sense to pile this stuff
> up until we get a big unmanageable pile of interdependend changesets!

That was not the intention with the aggregated script - it was meant as
a first step to test these removals in combination more easily before
applying them. But hey, getting them in is more important.

Why don't we just sit down (I could do it in a few days - or someone
else like you today :-) ) and just load the aggregated script and then
load them back one by one in at least *one* ordering. They have a good
chance of working I guess and if they do we could smack them in there
all of them and then create those verification packages you described.

If problems later arise we just fix them - *again* we are in alpha land
and we have the stream (that Andreas wants us to use goddarnit :-)).

And if they don't work together we can back down and just add your
Tests-Removal at least. Sounds good?

Doug? Daniel?

regards, Göran